What do I need in order to take an online proctored exam?
Applies to the following products:
Because exams are both secure and proctored, there are some technical requirements. There are two primary things that you need to set up before taking an exam:
- Questionmark Secure
- Real-time communication components
Installing Questionmark Secure
- Install Questionmark Secure 6.0.26+ for Windows or 6.0.19+ for Mac. The link in step #2 enables you to install and detect the version of Questionmark Secure installed.
- Go to Install and detect Questionmark Secure to detect installation of Questionmark Secure.
- Click Download to download the appropriate version of Questionmark Secure for your operating system. If you have a previous version of Questionmark Secure installed, we recommend uninstalling the older version before installing the required version.
- Install Questionmark Secure.
- Click Launch. A webpage that requires Questionmark Secure opens.
- You might need to close prohibited applications before being able to launch your exam. Common prohibited applications include Outlook, Skype for Business (Lync), GoToMeeting, and SnagIT. Close any prohibited applications, if any, and click Launch again.
- When Questionmark Secure is installed and all prohibited programs have been closed, a new page opens showing the installed version. Click Close Questionmark Secure to exit Questionmark Secure.
Real-time communication components
- Ensure the following are functional and enabled for real-time communication via Zoom with the exam proctor.
- A browser with pop-up blocker disabled
- A built-in or external webcam and microphone
- Internet speed must be at least 2 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload.
- Use the following link to test real-time communication components:
- Test real-time communication components and bandwidth
- Online proctoring uses Zoom for real-time communication. Zoom is a web-conferencing application, and you'll be prompted to install or run it in the process of connecting with the proctor. You don't have to install it ahead of time.
- Once connected to an exam, wait for guidance from the proctor about logging in to Zoom.