How can I effectively use question types?
When used to their full potential, the question types available in Authoring provide a powerful range of assessment techniques that you can use to test a full range of cognitive skills, including:
- Factual recall
These question types can also be used to collect survey information or construct rating scales.
Things you might do when creating your questions or topics:
- Read the descriptions for all the question types available in Authoring to gain background knowledge of your options in developing assessments from topics.
- Select question types based on the format that best matches what you want to assess.
For example, If you want to measure skills or content, then you would select from the question types which test designers loosely categorize as closed-ended or open-ended based on whether or not the answer appears before the participant. The types of question and their descriptions are listed below:
- Closed-ended questions are often used when you are looking for a response that would have a predictable correct answer. The most commonly-used closed-ended question types are shown below.
- Open-ended questions are used when you are gathering information or looking for a response that is not easily classified as right or wrong. The most commonly-used open-ended question types are shown below.
- Use a question format that is as close to the real-world application as possible. This way questions are more easily-related to the actual application of the knowledge.
- Limit the number of question types you place on a test, it will also be less confusing to the participant if you group like question types together. For ease of scoring, quality of feedback options, and control in guessing, the Multiple Choice question type is usually the best starting point for constructing an assessment.
- If you want to assess opinions, attitudes, or create a rating scale, the use Likert scale question type.
Closed-ended question types
Closed-ended questions that appear in Authoring include:
- Multiple Response
- Multiple Choice
- Likert scale questions
- Pull-down questions
Open-ended question types
Authoring includes the following open-ended question types:
- Text Match