On this screen, you can specify the following details for an Explanation question:
- Explanation wording, e.g., "The following diagram is referenced in several of the following questions. Use the information it displays to answer where appropriate."
- Explanation description, e.g., "A diagram used by several questions"
Explanations are used to provide descriptive or informative text in an assessment and can be placed at the beginning, middle or end of a topic. Explanations are commonly used to provide information pertaining to a set of questions that follow it in an assessment. There is no opportunity for data collection.
An explanation is a screen of text and/or graphics with a button the user presses to continue (if included in an assessment that uses question-by-question delivery). No marking is provided for explanations (that is, they get zero points).
The following options are available when saving a question:
- Click Save to save all changes and continue editing the question. A message appears confirming the question has been saved.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the Save button and then:
- select Save and new Multiple Choice to save all changes and begin creating a new Multiple Choice question,
- hover over Save and new..., and then select the type of question to create,
- or select Save and exit to save all changes and exit the question editor.
If changes have been made to a question, a revision comment must be entered first before exiting the question editor.
Click Exit to leave the question editor. If any changes have been made to the question, a message appears warning that these changes will not be saved.
Adding the explanation wording
To create or edit the wording for your explanation, click where it says "Click here to change the explanation wording" and enter the wording. You can use the text formatting toolbar to present the wording in any way you wish. Refer to Using the text formatting toolbar for more information on how to do this.
Adding an explanation description
Descriptions enable you to provide information on the content being created.
To add a description, click Edit Explanation Description, enter the description (200 characters maximum), and click OK.
If no description is specified, the explanation wording will be used as the description.