Configuring Windows Server 2003
To install Perception successfully on Windows Server 2003 you must ensure that the following actions have been taken:
- Install and configure IIS for Perception
- Installing the SMTP service
- Configure the code page conversion tables
If you are installing Perception in a multi-tiered environment you should ensure that the above steps are completed on the server used to host the following tiers:
- Presentation tier (QPLA)
- Perception Server (QABS and Enterprise Manager)
Internet Information Service is not installed by default. For instructions about how to install IIS, please refer to:
Once installed IIS will need to be configured to ensure that it works with Perception properly. IIS will need to be configured correctly to work, please refer to the following section to configure IIS:
This section highlights how to install IIS using the Configure Your Server Wizard. For more detailed instructions please refer to the documentation that accompanied your operating system.
To install IIS using the Configure Your Server Wizard:
- From the Start menu, click Manage Your Server
- Under Managing Your Server Roles, click Add or remove a role
- Read the preliminary steps in the Configure Your Server Wizard and click Next
- Under Server Role, click Application server (IIS, ASP.NET) and then click Next
- Select the ASP.NET check-box on the Application Server Options page and then click Next
- Read the summary and click Next
- Complete the wizard, and then click Finish
If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Server 2003, you will also need to carry out the steps indicated below before you attempt to install Perception:
IIS must be configured to recognize the Perception Server .NET application files. To do so:
Open IIS Manager.
Select Web Services Extensions in the left-hand pane.
Ensure that the Status of the following Web Service Extensions is set to Allowed
- All Unknown ISAPI Extensions
- Active Server Pages
- ASP.NET v2.0.XXXXXX
- PHP: Hypertext Processor (if QPLA is installed on same machine) - This option may only appear after you have installed PHP
If you intend to use the E-mail Broadcast feature of Perception you will need to install the SMTP service. To do this:
- Click Start | Control Panel
- Click Add/Remove Programs
- Click Add/Remove Windows Components
- After the Windows Components Wizard appears, select Applications Server and click Details
- Select Internet Information Services (IIS), then click Details
- Select SMTP Service, then click OK
- Continue to click OK to close all other dialog boxes until you're back at the Windows Components Wizard page, then click Next
Windows 2003 will copy the files required for the SMTP service (you might be prompted to insert the installation CD-ROM) and configure the service. Once the SMTP service has been installed follow the instruction in the following section for details about how to configure the SMTP service:
If you are installing Questionmark Perception on a non-English version of Windows Server 2003 you will need to ensure that the correct code page conversion table is installed. This will ensure that Perception is able to write to the repository using the correct character sets for Perception.
For more information about installing Perception on a non-English operating system, please refer to the section Installing on a non-English operating system.