Configure the SMTP service
You can setup your server to act as an SMTP service so that Perception can use it to send email broadcasts to participants and administrators.
To do this you will need to:
Install the SMTP service
If you would like to use email broadcasting, you can either setup Perception to connect to a 3rd-party email server or you can setup your own SMTP service on your computer. This section will provide instructions about how to install the SMTP service in Windows Server 2008.
To install the SMTP service:
- Click Start | Control Panel.
- Click Program and Features.
- Click Turn Windows features on or off.
- Select Features from the Server Manager menu on the left.
- Click Add Feature.
- Locate the SMTP Server entry and place a tick in the corresponding checkbox.
- A window may appear detailing other features that are required by SMTP Server; click Yes to accept these.
- Click Install to install the required features and follow the instructions on screen.
Configure the SMTP service
If you are using the SMTP server available in IIS, you should make the changes described in this section on the server where you have installed Perception. If you are not using IIS as your SMTP server, you will need to refer to the documentation for your SMTP server for instructions. If you intend to install the SMTP server in Windows Server 2008 the following components will also be added by default:
- IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
- IIS 6 Management Console
To configure the SMTP service:
Once installed, complete the following steps to configure SMTP email in Windows Server 2008:
- Open Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 Manager.
- Select your computer from the drop-down list.
- Open the SMTP Virtual Server Properties dialog.
To do so:
- Expand the machinename (local computer) folder in the left-hand pane (where machinename is the name of your application server).
- Right-click SMTP Virtual Server and select Properties. If you cannot see the SMTP Virtual Server folder, then you do not have SMTP installed. This is included as part of the Email Services Windows component and you will need to install this before you can use the IIS SMTP server.
- Open the Access tab and click Authentication....
- Ensure that the Anonymous access box is ticked and click OK. This ensures that Perception can connect to the SMTP server without having to log in.
- Click Connection....
Ensure that Only the list below is selected and that the list includes the IP address 127.0.0.1 and the network IP address of the server. This ensures that only Perception server can relay mail through the application server. To add 127.0.0.1 to the list, if it not already there, click Add... and enter the IP address. Ensure that Single computer is selected and click OK. Repeat the process to add the network IP address of the server. Click OK to return to the SMTP Virtual Server Properties dialog.
Ensure that All except the list below is selected and that the list is empty. This specifies that all domains are authorized to use the SMTP server. If more security is required (such as with public SMTP servers), the option Only the list below should be selected, and a list of specific domains should be added, namely those domains specified in the From: email address in the email broadcast. For example, if you specify firstname.lastname@example.org in the From: email address, you should ensure that xyzcompany.com is added to the list. Click OK to return to the SMTP Virtual Server Properties dialog.
Open the Messages tab
Ensure that the following boxes are not selected:
- Limit message size to (KB)
- Limit session size to (KB)
- Limit number of messages per connection to
You can restrict the above settings by selecting the relevant box, but only if you are sure that doing so will not interfere with emails sent by email broadcast. Click OK.
Open the General tab.
Ensure that the IP address selected is set to (All Unassigned) and that the Enable logging box is ticked. You can click Properties to confirm the location of the log files.
Ensure that the (All Unassigned) IP address is configured to use TCP port 25. If it is not, select the IP address and click Edit. Enter 25 into the TCP port box and click OK. Click OK to return to the SMTP Virtual Server Properties dialog.
Open the Delivery tab and click Advanced.... The Advanced Delivery dialog is displayed.
Enter the fully-qualified domain name of your application server. This is the machine name plus the full domain name. If your company has a specific mail server, enter the IP address of your company's email server in the Smart host box. If your company does not have a specific mail server, leave it empty.
- Click OK to return to the Delivery tab.
- Click OK to confirm any changes.
Configure Perception to use the SMTP service
Once your SMTP service is ready, you will need to configure Perception with the correct details. Configuring Perception to use the email settings requires some modification of the server settings. These server settings can be modified in Enterprise Manager.
To set the appropriate SMTP settings for Perception, following the instructions below:
- Navigate to Enterprise Manager and sign in using an administrative user.
- Click Administration | Server Management | Server settings.
- Locate the SMTP Settings in the Customer Settings sections.
- Insert the details of your SMTP server. If you are connecting to an SMTP server that requires authentication, insert the username and a password that Perception can use to send emails. If you are using the Perception server as the SMTP server as well, the user name and password is not required. However, the Default credentials checkbox should be enabled.
- Configure the port and SSL as required, and click Save and Exit at the bottom of the page.
It is possible to store two sets of SMTP server details in the settings. The second set of SMTP Settings can be found in the Server Settings section under Server SMTP settings. Fill in the second set of details using a different SMTP server if required. The SMTP server setting can be switched between by un/checking the Use Customer SMTP settings checkbox.