Activating your license file
Permanent license files need to be activated, otherwise Perception will not deliver assessments.
A license file will only work with the particular Perception Server it was issued for. The Perception Server is identified by:
- The directory in which session.php is held
- The MAC (Media Access Control) address of the hardware
If any of these change, you will need to re-activate your license file. To do so, you must first deactivate your license file and then reactivate it in the new location. If you don't deactivate your license file first, you will not be able to reactivate your license file and will need to contact Questionmark Technical Services for assistance.
You can activate a license for Tryout use, which allows a limited number of participants on a Tryout or Development server, or Production use, which gives you full license capabilities.
For Production licenses, you are only allowed a limited number of activations (often only one Tryout and one Production server), so please be careful not to activate a server inappropriately, or mistakenly activate a Tryout server as a Production server. If you activate a server in error, please contact Questionmark Technical Support for assistance in de-activating it.
There are two ways to activate a server:
The automatic approach to activating the license requires a connection to the Internet from your Perception Server.
Before you can automatically activate your account you need to access session.php. The easiest way to do this is to navigate to the open login page for the participants in a web browser. A typical address for the open login page is:
To automatically activate your license file:
- Open Enterprise Manager
- Click Administration | Server Management
- Click Update License
- Click Activate Current License
- The Activate Servers screen is displayed.
This lists the Machine Name, Questionmark Server ID, Activation Expiration date and Activation Status (which shows that the server is Unactivated) of the servers on your system. (If you are running Perception on a load balanced cluster, you will see two or more separate machines listed.)
- Select Tryout or Production from the Activation Status drop-down list, depending on the license file you want to activate.
- Enter your Communities email address and password and click Activate. If successful, the success message will be displayed.
If this screen is not displayed, Enterprise Manager was unable to contact the server you are running Perception on. Refer to Manually activating a license file for an alternative method.
If you don't have an Internet connection to the server you are running Perception on, and you are attempting to activate your license file, Enterprise Manager will display the Manual Activation screen.
You can manually activate your server license if your Perception server:
- Has an Email facility
- Is connected via a network to a PC that has an Email facility
- Can have the data transferred to or from it by floppy disk, CD, USB Flash drive or other medium, from a PC that has an Email facility.
To manually activate your server license:
- Click here to download the Activation Request File
The File Download screen is displayed
- Click Save to store the Activation File and choose a convenient location to keep it
- Click Save
The Activation file, request.qmActivateR, will download to the selected location
- Click Close
- On the Manual Activation screen, click click here to automatically create the email message to be sent to Questionmark
In your Email messaging application, the New Message screen is displayed:
- Click Attach (or equivalent command) and attach the request.qmActivateR file
- Click Send
Questionmark will receive and process the Activation Request email you sent, and reply with an email that has an activation file attached
To activate your server license:
- Open the email from Questionmark
- Right-click on the attached Activation file (for example, Customer.qmActivate)
- Click Save As
Navigate to a convenient location on the machine where your Perception installation is located
- Click Save to store the Perception Activation file on the machine where your Perception installation is located,
- In Enterprise Manager, click Update License
- Click Activate Current License
You then see a screen similar to the one below, which displays the Machine Name, Questionmark Server ID, Activation Expiration date and Activation Status (which shows that the server is Unactivated):
If you are running Perception on a load balanced cluster, you will see two or more machines listed
- Click Browse
- Navigate to and select your Activation file (for example, Customer.qmActivate)
- Click Open
- Click Finish
Your license is now activated.
If you have any difficulty downloading or activating your license, please contact our technical support team for assistance.